Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Six Word Memoirs

Perhaps I'm a little behind on this whole movement, but today my friend Maggie shared with me such a cool idea that I could't wait to share it here.

SIX WORD MEMOIRS

This project was headed by Smith Magazine who adopted the idea from Hemingway. Story goes he was challenged to write a memoir in six short words. Hemingway's response was "Baby shoes: for sale, never worn." So, the challenge Smith developed was to come up with a six word memoir to describe a story. It can be all encompassing, explaining briefly your overall life experience OR it can describe a specific life event, issue, struggle, etc. It is writing after all...you have the freedom to create your own perspective! It's so cool to hear the way friends describe themselves in 6 short words..I mean, that is taking Twitter to a whole new level--140 characters shortened to all but 6 words? For someone who struggles to make a long story short, I can hardly wrap my head around the idea. But alas, I was able to come up with one that I feel wholly describes every phase in my life.

"Hopeless wanderer, stumbles upon His grace."

We all have stories of our searching out truth in various facets of life, and regardless of what you find it is awesome to know you are surrounded by His grace. And I definitely stumble…or trip and fall into…His grace from time to time. I will be the first to admit my sin and also the first to admit that without His relentless love I would be nothing. I would be a complete and utter mess. Be it toxic relationships, bad decisions with money or betrayal of so-called friends; They all make us question life--question our purpose, our faith, ourselves. At the end of the day, it is my faith that has kept me moving forward and wearing a smile.

What would be your six word memoir?

No comments:

Post a Comment